This dish is well known throughout the province of Granada and is a lovely way to cook beef steaks along with the most famous of Spanish foods - the Serrano Ham.
You will need (serves 4):
4 thin beef steaks
100 grams Serrano Ham, cut into thin strips
50 grams Serrano Ham, cut into small squares
150 grams mushrooms
1 clove garlic
50ml sherry or fino
salt and pepper
How to cook:
1. Peel and chop the garlic and slice the mushrooms. If the beef is a bit thick, give it a bash to make it a bit thinner.
2. Make long slits lengthwise in the beef (dont' cut all the way through) and place the strip of serrano ham into each slit. Press firmly so it stays in place.
3. Season with salt and pepper, then dust each steak with flour, both sides.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry each steak individually until cooked to your own preference. Keep the cooked steaks warm in the oven.
5. In the same oil, gently fry the chopped ham, the mushrooms and the garlic.
6. Add the sherry to the pan and cook gently for a further 5 minutes.
7. Pour the sauce over the steaks upon serving. Lovely with sauteed potatoes and green peppers