This simple dish is excellent as a tapa, starter or for the buffet table. A lovely blend of flavours creating a light tender dish.
You will need (Serves 4)
8 fresh sardines
1 green pepper
1 small onion
4 garlic cloves
white wine vinegar
How to cook:
1. To clean the sardines, make a little cut in the belly, insert your finger and pull out the insides.
2. Open the sardine and remove the head by pulling away the spine from the flesh. Gently pull away and the head should come away leaving the sardine open and flat like a fillet.
3. Wash in cold water, pat dry and place aside and season with salt.
4. Peel the onion and thinly slice. Slice the pepper into thin strips. Peel the garlic and slice
5. Heat a little oil in a frying pan then add the onion, pepper and garlic.
6. Cook gently without browning for about 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
7. Place the vegetables into an oven proof shallow dish and spreah out.
8. Add the sardines to the dish arranging skin side up.
9. Sprinke with breadcrumbs and drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar.
10. Cook in a hot oven for about 10 minutes until the sardines are cooked and the breadcrumbs turn golden.