This dish is very popular in tapas bars, it is simple to make but very rich in flavour.
You will need:
1 kilo fresh clams
1 kilo fresh ripe tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
Handful fresh parsley
Small glass white wine
Salt and pepper
How to cook:
1. Peel the onion and garlic. Chop the onion as small as you can and crush the garlic
2. Finely chop the tomatoes and chop the parsley
3. Clean the clams by scrubbing the shells under running water.
4. In a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry gently until the onion begins to soften.
5. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, half the parsley, wine and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
6. Add the clams to the pan and cook on a high heat until the shells have opened. Use a smaller frying pan to cover and shake the pan as you cook.
7.To serve, place into small tapas dishes, garnish with the remaining parsley with a side of fresh bread.
You can also make this dish with cockles in place of the clams