A very popular Spanish dish which is both filling and gratifying
You will need:
6 round red or green peppers
500g minced beef
1/2 pint chicken or beef stock
3 slices french bread
1 glass white wine
salt and pepper
How to cook:
1. Cut away the top half of the peppers and remove all the seeds.
2. Place the bread into a shallow dish, pour in enough milk to cover and leave to soak.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion and carrots
4. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and carrots and fry until the onion is brown.
5. Add the mince, season and cook until done.
6.Break up the bread with a spoon and add to the mince with half a glass of white wine and cook for a few minutes.
7. Beat the egg and add to the mince mixture stirring well.
8. Place the peppers in an oven proof casserole dish or cazuela and stuff each one with the mince mixture.
9. To make the sauce, peel and chop the other onion and fry until brown.
10. Add a tablespoon of flour to the onion, then add the other half glass of white wine plus the stock, stirring well.
11. Leave to cook for five minutes.
12. Pour this sauce over the peppers and then place into a medium oven for about 45-50 minutes until the peppers soften and peel.
13. Twice during cooking, you should spoon the sauce over the peppers to stop them drying out.
14. Serve with lots of fresh crusty bread.