A really quick and easy paella and an exciting way to enjoy fresh squid rings. Ideal as a hearty lunch or served up as a spectacular tapas dish.
You will need:
500g squid rings
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 medium green pepper
2 medium tomatoes
200g paella rice
small glass fino sherry
3/4 litre fish stock
1/4 teaspoon saffron
handfull chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
How to cook:
1. Clean the squid rings under running water, pat dry and then transfer to a plate. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Peel and chop the onion and garlic as small as you can, deseed the pepper and chop into small pieces, finely dice the tomatoes.
3. Heat the oil into a medium paella pan, add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook gently for 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the rice to the pan and cook for about five minutes, then add the sherry and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
5. Add the squid, fish stock, saffron and parsley (leaving a little aside to garnish) then lower the heat and cook for about 20-25 minutes until the rice has absorbed the stock and is soft and tender.
6. Serve with lemon wedges and a parsley garnish.