Spanish pumpkins, which have a green skin, are harvested in summer but keep well throughout winter. This is a simple recipe for a puree style soup, best eaten on a chilly day served with fresh crusty bread.
You will need:
roughly one quarter of a large pumpkin
2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper
How to cook:
1. If using a whole pumpkin, cut into quarters, remove the seeds and loose flesh from the middle.
2. Peel the skin away and cut into chunks.
3. Peel and chop the onion and potatoes.
4. In a large saucepan, heat a little olive oil and cook the vegetables for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
6. Cook on a medium heat for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
8. Using a hand blender, blend the vegetables until you have a thick puree. (add a little water if necessary)
9. Return to the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes (allow a little longer if the soup needs thickening)
10. Serve with fresh bread.
Main meal: yes