A nourishing and substantial main meal soup using the best of Andalusian ingredients. The perfect way to warm up a winters day.
You will need (serves 6-8):
1kilo firm white fish, choose from cod, haddock, hake or dog fish.
1/2 kilo mussels
1/2 kilo squid rings
handfull fresh peeled prawns
4-5 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
1/2 pint single cream
4 tbsp flour
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
salt and ground black pepper
How to cook:
1. Place the white fish into a large pan with 2 pints of water and cook gently for 10 minutes until cooked and tender.
2. Peel the onions, carrots and potatoes. Roughly grate the carrot, finely chop the onion and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
3. Drain the fish, keeping the stock and flake roughly, removing any skin and bones. Set aside.
4. In another large pot, sautes the finely chopped onion with the butter until soft and translucent, then stir in the flour and cook for a minute or so.
5. Lower the heat and gradually add the stock, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil.
6. Add the potatoes, the carrots, squid and prawns and cook gently for about 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, wash and steam the mussels until the shells are all open. Allow to cool slightly and remove the shells.
8. Add to the pot, the white fish, mussels and cream. Then season with salt and pepper and add the smoked paprika
9. Continue to heat through for 5 minutes or so, but do not boil, garnish with lots of chopped parsley.
FREE SPANISH BRANDY....!